About the Site
What is ‘The Archaeology of Tomb Raider’?
The Archaeology of Tomb Raider is a fan-run website that explores the archaeological sites, artefacts, and ancient cultures featured in the Tomb Raider game series and spin-off media.
What can I find here?
Good question. Here are just some of the features we publish on this site:
- In-depth looks at the locations, myths and artefacts featured in the Tomb Raider series from an archaeological point of view;
- Articles on the depiction of archaeology and archaeologists in popular culture;
- Articles on archaeology, treasure hunting, and the antiquities trade;
- Reviews of comics, books, and documentaries;
- Links to educational resources and online publications; and
- Guest blogs from fellow Tomb Raider fans and/or archaeologists.
You say ‘we publish’. How many people run this site?
Actually, it’s just one person: me, Kelly M. I run the site as well as manage its various social media accounts.
You can find out a bit more about me over here.
I’m an archaeologist and I’m worried that the Tomb Raider series will give people the wrong impression about what archaeology is and what archaeologists do for a living.
Even as a mere enthusiast, I’m painfully aware that Lara’s archaeological methods leave a lot to be desired and that the depiction of archaeologists in popular culture has given the general public a very misleading and inaccurate impression of the profession.
The reasons I launched The Archaeology of Tomb Raider were:
- to show gamers that there’s a huge difference between archaeology as an academic discipline and the treasure hunting antics of Ms Croft;
- to use the Tomb Raider series as a platform for further study and to inspire others to learn more about world history and archaeological sites, and;
- to help establish the importance of protecting cultural heritage for future generations to study and enjoy.
If you’d like to know more about why I started this site, feel free to check out my article “Why I Blog About Archaeology (and Tomb Raider)”.
I actually quite like this site and would like to follow you on social media. Where can I find you?
Do you sell any Tomb Raider (or fansite) merchandise?
There’s no Archaeology of Tomb Raider merchandise as yet but you’re welcome to check out my Amazon AStores and purchase some books, games, or Tomb Raider goodies through there.
How can I support this site? Do you have a Patreon?
I don’t have a Patreon account but there are a few ways you can still show your support for The Archaeology of Tomb Raider!
- You can share its articles on social media;
- You can add a link to the site from your own blog or website;
- You can disable AdBlocker on this domain to help boost the site’s ad revenue;
- You can purchase some Tomb Raider (or other) swag via the site’s Amazon US or Amazon UK stores; or
- If you’re feeling super generous, you can help pay for the site’s running costs (e.g. domain name) by making a donation via PayPal.
Copyright © Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are trademarks or registered trademarks of Square Enix Ltd. All rights reserved.