About the Site
What is ‘The Archaeology of Tomb Raider’?
The Archaeology of Tomb Raider is an independent, fan-run website that shines a light on the archaeological sites, artefacts, and ancient cultures featured in the Tomb Raider game series and spin-off media.
What can I find here?
Good question. Here are just some of the features we publish on this site:
- In-depth looks at the locations, myths and artefacts featured in the Tomb Raider series from an archaeological point of view;
- Articles on the depiction of archaeology and archaeologists in popular culture;
- Articles on archaeology, treasure hunting, and the antiquities trade;
- Reviews of comics, books, and documentaries;
- Links to educational resources and online publications; and
- Guest blogs from fellow Tomb Raider fans and/or archaeologists.
You say ‘we publish’. How many people run this site?
Actually, it’s just one person: me, Kelly M. I’m responsible for maintaining this site, creating most of its original content, and running its social media accounts.
If you want to learn a little more about me, you’ll find a short bio over here.
I’m an archaeologist and I’m worried that the Tomb Raider series will give people the wrong impression about what archaeology is and what archaeologists do for a living.
I’m a mere enthusiast but even I am painfully aware that Lara’s archaeological methods leave a lot to be desired and that the depiction of archaeologists in popular culture has given the general public a very misleading and inaccurate impression of the profession.
I launched The Archaeology of Tomb Raider to:
- Show gamers that there’s a huge difference between archaeology as an academic discipline and the treasure-hunting antics of Ms Croft;
- Use the Tomb Raider series as a platform for further study and to inspire others to learn more about world history and archaeological sites, and;
- Help establish the importance of protecting cultural heritage for future generations to study and enjoy.
If you’d like to know more about why I started this site, feel free to check out my article “Why I Blog About Archaeology (and Tomb Raider)”.
How can I support this site? Do you have a Patreon?
I don’t have a Patreon account but you can show your support for this site by:
- Buying me a coffee on Ko-fi to help me cover the costs of running this site;
- Sharing its articles on social media;
- Following The Archaeology of Tomb Raider on Twitter and/or Facebook;
- Adding a link to the site (or any of its articles) from your own blog or website;
- Disabling AdBlocker on this domain to help boost the site’s ad revenue; or
- Purchasing some Tomb Raider books and other merchandise via the site’s Amazon affiliate accounts.
Copyright © Lara Croft and Tomb Raider are trademarks or registered trademarks of Square Enix Ltd. All rights reserved.
The Archaeology of Tomb Raider is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program and Amazon EU Associates Programme, affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon and Amazon UK.